Siyafunda offers a mentored field guide internship that gives individuals a realistic introduction into living and working
in the South African bush. You will be mentored through
a FGASA based learning schedule by our field rangers
and you will assist with making our volunteers and guests experience a once of a life time.
Our program has been developed by Mike Job who has been a guide and lead trails guide since 2003, he has experience
in working in lodges around South Africa and has grown Siyafunda's volunteer projects to be a leader in the area of volutourism.
Siyafunda runs 3 camps, 2 volunteer camps and 1 lodge, this will give all interns a broad-based working experience guiding and managing different expectations with the hospitality and volunteer tourism.
We offer two routes to achieving your mentorship goals.
- 3 Months Practical Only: The pre-requisite is that you complete your FGASA Studies and Exam prior to starting
your Mentorship. You will focus solely on the practical
while with us preparing for your Assessment
- 6 Month Theory & Practical: You will study the theory
and get practical experience while hosted by us and have
our guides on hand to assist with them both.
1. Creating a guided nature experience
3. Weather and Climate
6. The Biomes
8. Plants and Grasses
15. Animal behaviour
16. Conservation management
17. Historical human habitation
Your Internship tented camp is situated next to Siyafunda Main Camp, giving you access to our library and living closely with our field rangers. Living in our tented camp will allow you to immerse yourself in the bush and experience
the wildlife intimately. Each tent has a single bed and there
is a central deck under a Weeping Boer Bean Tree where
you can find a quite space to study.
You will also be helping out at our other camps so expect
be staying at them during your stay.
Siyafunda Internship & Main Camp have:
- electricity and hot running water (solar panels: on overcast days it can sometimes run out)
- Internet / WIFI at the base:
- Reasonable cell reception at camp. You can easily buy
a south-African SIM card (MTN is best) at the airport or
- Comfortable lounge area: library with books and magazines, TV, DVD players,
- Swimming Pool, volleyball,
- Braai / BBQ area
- Mentored drives and walks
- FGASA membership
- Exam fees
- Assessment fees
- 1st Aid course
- Transfer from Hoedspruit on Mondays only
- Conservation Levy
- Entrance to excursion on weekend
- Restaurant on days off